Friday, November 5, 2010

The Pains of Being Pure at Heart- s/t


Band: The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
Album: Self-titled
Year: 2009
Genre: Indie/Noise Pop/Shoegaze

Here's a band that may have flown under your radar last year. Pains is one of those indie bands that are reintroducing a nostalgic type sound, in this case it's the late 80s/early 90s sound of bands like The Jesus and Mary Chain and My Bloody Valentine, and channeling it into the modern age. What we get is a surprisingly refreshing and energetic rendition of the noise pop/shoegaze bands of yore, but with a "poppier" bent. This is not a bad thing. The songwriting in this band is simple but genuinely charming and perfect for singing along to. As soon as I heard it I instantly new I'd found a standout from the crowd. I'm seriously not kidding about their songwriting either. Every single song on the album could potentially be their single. So if you're into the kind of music that I've described and are looking for a happy record to spin when the mood strikes you then don't miss out on this one again.

No comments:

Post a Comment