Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Auburn Lull

Auburn Lull is a band from the States (Michigan, to be exact), but they could very well be mistaken for a British group. Why? Well, the UK is often known for its share of dream pop artists from the late 80s/early 90s (to which Auburn Lull certainly take a cue from in their style). This region is also known for its abundance of overcast skies, and such weather is bound to cast a shroud of melancholy on the individuals who dwell there. These characteristics manifest themselves in the music Auburn Lull creates. It's a delicate blend of ambient and dream pop that should send even the most cynical minds soaring into the clouds.

My first encounter with the band came with their 2008 release, Begin Civil Twilight. It was only the third album of the band's career, a career that debuted with the 1999 debut, Along I Admire. Their second album, 2004's Cast From the Platform, is the only one left for me to hear. They have a sound that can be compared to the likes of Slowdive at their dreamiest and laid back. In fact, I'm willing to bet that if you love Slowdive then you'll fall just as hard for Auburn Lull.

Going back to the two albums I have had the pleasure to spend time with, I can assuredly say that I'm a big admirer. I'm only just scratching the surface with Alone I Admire, but it appears to be more solid from beginning to end. Begin Civil Twilight carries some slight inconsistencies in songwriting, even if the atmosphere remains dense throughout. A song that I seriously insist you check out from said album though is this one:



Even though I said I have less experience with Alone I Admire, I've already picked up on some achingly tremendous songs, one showcasing their dream pop side, and the other exemplifying the ambient aspect of their sound:





If you like what you've heard, don't hesitate to check out the full length albums.

No comments:

Post a Comment