Monday, December 27, 2010

Benn Jordan- Pale Blue Dot



Artist: Benn Jordan
Album: Pale Blue Dot
Genre: Ambient
Year: 2008

Very spacey ambient influenced by the work of Carl Sagan, the famous astronomer and astrophysicist. You may have noticed that I some times pay a lot of attention to an album cover because it can often set up a good visual for what you may be imagining as you listen to the music within. The same can be said about 'Pale Blue Dot'. Nebula pictures in particular have always fascinated me, probably more so than any other type of photograph of any kind, be it on earth or in space. The amount of beauty in them is astonishing, as they propel the imagination to realms of thought that we'll never be able to comprehend in our lifetime. In essence, the music by Benn Jordan is very close to that same sentiment. The blissful and tranquil movement of the sounds that run throughout the album put me in a dream-like state, where my mind takes me up close to places that can only be seen in photographs such as the one that graces this album. It's not without its faults sadly as all but three of the first nine tracks on the album I've discarded since they just don't strike a chord with me or keep the celestial beauty found within the majority of the album that I do enjoy. But fortunately this album's strengths and high points far outweigh its shortcomings. Just this week I've listened to it three or four times right around the time I'm preparing for bed and not only does it calm me but it fills my mind with pleasant thoughts and images. So I heartily recommend checking out this very professional and loving tribute to the late Carl Sagan and the inspiration he instilled in millions of stargazers to come like me. Even if you're not an ambient fan, I find it hard to believe you won't like it on some level.

No comments:

Post a Comment