Saturday, April 10, 2010

Opeth: Experience #5

April 9th, The Wiltern, Los Angeles



What a night! I don't feel like getting into a full on explanation of the show, I might do that down the road, but at least want to give my initial reaction to what I saw and heard, as well as list the songs played while they're still fresh in my brain. First up, I can't tell you how great it was to see this band playing their very own show without any openers. Without any opening acts to worry about Opeth was free to play for a full three hours. Yes, three hours! There were two sets; the first set being Blackwater Park in its entirety, followed by one song from each of their albums. The songs in said second set were:

1) Forest of October
2) Advent
3) April Ethereal
4) The Moor
5) Wreath
6) Hope Leaves
7) Harlequin Forest
8) Lotus Eaters

If I had to pick a personal favorite then I'd have to go with Forest of October. It's always been one of my favorite Opeth songs and I was astounded by how sleek and masterful it sounded nearly 16 years after Orchid.

All in all, it was a fantastically long night, and possibly the best Opeth show I've yet attended. With so many songs that were played, how could it not be, right? Bravo, Opeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment